Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Pet Project

Have you ever stumbled across a written word that perfectly reflected your deepest beliefs and personal mantra? Fortunately for yours truly, I have made such a discovery...more in the way of discovering a written treasure. The precious gem I'm speaking of is the Mission Statement for The Pet Project.

Since I've had the good fortune of doing animal rescue for the last 20+ years, I have gained access to a network of resources that I can refer individuals to when they are in need of help with their cherished pet. The Pet Project helps pet parents who are struggling financially, keep their pets. The Pet Project provides pet owners with food for their animals along with veterinarian connections for basic medical care.

The Pet Project Mission Statement:
We believe that the way we treat the least fortunate among us, those with the quietest voices, those with the least power, and those who reach their hands out for help is what defines us as a society. We are people who find great courage in unexpected places, epiphanies in fleeting moments, and inspiration in the darkness. We believe that if you have more, you share it; if you know more, you teach it; if you have love, you give it.

Every time I read The Pet Project's profound Mission Statement it stirs in me the desire to do more to help both humanity and beast with the gifts I've been given. I have been blessed beyond measure. I'm not speaking of merely monetary blessings...I'm talking about REAL blessings, i.e. love of family, animal companions, friends, good health, meaningful work, a place to live, etc., the list could go on forever. 

I am most thankful to The Almighty for giving me a heart that feels great empathy for people and animals in peril...it seems the more broken down they are...the more dear and precious they become to me. I must say, there are those times I wish I didn't feel so profoundly...the price of a broken heart is a high price to pay indeed. I have shed countless tears over the plight of animals we've fostered and loved only to lose them as a result of the mistreatment/abuse they suffered at the hands of someone else before they came into our lives. Fortunately for us, the heart is a resiliant muscle both physically and emotionally and most of us are able to love again and again no matter how many times we have experienced pain and suffering.

By the same token, I have a feeling that I've felt more happiness in my life than most because of my ability to feel things so deeply in my heart. Given the choice, I wouldn't have it any other way...I'm glad I can love, laugh, cry and celebrate with great gusto!

In 2010, I made the commitment to do more for others and hold dear what really matters in the world...all living things...I will use this mission statement to inspire me in my commitment to those less fortunate, whether it be creature or humanity...it was written for people like you and me.

G-d bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment