Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rescue Me



Today I'm posting a collage piece I recently created titled, Rescue Me. The piece features a hawk as the central figure. Surrounding this majestic hawk are several small birds. The small birds are depicted trying to hide the hawk with several torn scraps of paper in an attempt to save him from someone wishing to harm him. The hawk's wish is to disappear so that he can live in peace, hence the crown he wears that says "wish."

My inspiration for this piece resulted from a documentary I recently watched about urban sprawl and how our excesses are gradually consuming all of the habitat of the creatures with whom we share this planet. In my opinion, many people fail to realize that all creatures were created and put on the earth for a purpose. The loss of any species upsets our entire ecological system, hence explains the condition of our planet today.

This documentary highlighted a part of the country where a bounty is placed on hawks. The most bracing image featured in this documentary were buckets and buckets of hawk talons. The justification given for the murdering of thousands of hawks is in the hawk's quest for food, they were killing the neighborhood pets. As a person who shares her life with Chihuahuas, I would be absolutely devastated if a hawk were to take one of these precious creatures that I share my life with and love dearly. With that being said, I make every attempt to be a responsible pet owner and am cautious and observant as to where I bring my dogs. I do not leave my dogs outside unattended as we've spotted several hawks in the trees by our home.

The hawks are running out of places to go for a sanctuary...a place to nest...we need to find a way in which we can all inhabit Mother Earth and sit under our own fig tree in peace.

Note: In the next few weeks, I will have prints of Rescue Me for sale in my ETSY shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment